7/20/2007

Thankfulness is at the Heart of Joy

Good Morning! I slept all night. That was wonderful and quite unlike me. God gives peace and rest, and I needed it.

Yesterday, I could tell Daddy was feeling more at home. He asked me to turn the AC on. At his house we had to sit in the sweltering heat because he didn't want his electric bill to go up. It seems at my house, "What the hey." I laughed out loud when asked me to turn it on for the third time. I had to wrap up in an afghan I got so cold!

He was back to complaining about the TV and "what is this world coming to." And, when I went for a swim AFTER all my work was completed, he warned me about being careful, not slipping and after about 20 minutes he got up, found the back door and hollered, "I think it's time you came in." Yep, Daddy feels right at home now.

We as Christians are so much like Daddy. We are so appreciative at first to be out of confinement, a well of sin or relieved from some stress, but then the "glow" of thankfulness wears off and we're right back to our same selves, complaining and feeling that things are back to status quo.

We start to whine, we start to tell God instead of ask God, our prayers once again become "me" oriented instead of God-centered. Before you know it, we're moping about, wondering "why" me, and our joy becomes stagnant.

To avoid this syndrome we need to keep our eyes squarely on the One Who has given us the best of all He has. We have salvation and we should never forget that. Nothing in our lives should supercede the thankfulness we have for our eternal life being bought by The Son of God.

The auction is Saturday, but I will be gone! I'm going to see Travis Cottrell in concert at The Cove with my friend, Hope. I'm, so excited. She's never been to The Cove and we both adore Travis. It will be a nice respite from all the stress and strain. My daughter will take good care of my Dad.

I'm close enough to finishing the manuscript that I have taken the next step and contacted Harvest House. There is an editor there who has asked to see my book, so, Ladies, let's pray!

Have a great day! Look for ways today to thank the Father for blessings He is giving you at the moment you recognize what it is. For instance, you walk down the sidewalk and see flowers. Thank Him right then for your senses, for His beautiful handiwork, for your ability to walk , etc.
You'll be amazed at how doing that will change your whole outlook on the day and bring joy bubbling from your soul!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay for Travis! Yay for your manuscript! Yay that Dad is feeling at home!

Jesus Girl said...

Editor said, "Yes," so I'll be sending a synopsis and about twenty pages of manuscript!!!!! Excitement is in super-deluxe edition right now!!!!

Unknown said...

I would love to be going with you to see and hear Travis! Thank you for that inspirational blog entry. You are a excellent writer! Glad your Daddy is feeling right at home.
Donna

twinkle said...

I just totally know Travis is going to refresh your soul! Kiss that darlin' daughter of yours for grandpa sitting and don't wipe off that permanent smile you have! It's stunning...
Oh, and may your book find God's Favor with the publishers and with the public reading community.