7/23/2007

My Proctor Is God

I'm being tested--I just hope I studied hard enough to pass the exam. It's my worst subject, too. Patience.

Today, I got a phone call from the auction people. They needed to get in my parents' house to take the matresses. It's against NC law for them to sell them. Okay, fine. What I had not expected was the finality that hit me in the face when I entered the house and everything--I mean everything--was gone. I left Saturday, everything was there. I go in today everything is gone. WOW! It felt like I had been punched in the stomach. Question one.

I came back home and the people are here to put in a phone line for my Daddy. Problem--Oh, imagine that. They can't run the lines because we have cement all around our house in the backyard and they don't cut through cement. We can have Daddy's number transferred by Master Ring so he uses our line, but has his own ring. That sounds fine. Question two.

Come in the house and Daddy starts accusing me of giving all my children keys to his house and he wants them back. I said, "Daddy, I only have the one child and she doesn't have a key."
"I know they do!" His voice getting nasty.
"Daddy, I promise. I have one child and she doesn't have a key." I went through all the people who have keys, but he wasn't satisfied. I had to walk away. He forgot. Question three.

The cable guy came. My husband took one of my folks' TV's and wanted cable run into the bedroom. While he was here and already dirty, I thought it would be nice to have a line run next to my treadmill (where all the clothes hang). I asked, "How much to run another line while you're here?"
"Can't do that. Have to have a special order called in. We're only allowed to do so much under-house work in one day." Question four.

Find out my husband has moved my Momma's rocker, by himself, into a room I had already cleaned, and in the process scraped the rocker up pretty good. Question five.

Have worked hard all day. Looked under my bed and my dogs have ripped holes in every airtight bag I had with my winter clothes in them. Every bag. Question six.

My daughter begged her Dad to go get her some ice cream. He goes, comes back with the flavor she hates the most, she's upset that he doesn't know her enough to know she hates chocolate ice cream, he's upset that he might have to go out again. Slamming doors. Question seven.

I stop my work to go to the store to get the "right" ice cream. Question eight.

My Dad wants me to call Trot Nixon's parents to see if he's playing ball tonight. The Cleveland Indians are playing and he hasn't seen Trot. Question nine.

The phone company calls to ask me questions about the service I received today. I was to rate several questons. Question ten.

Daddy stops me as I pass from room to room. "What was my wife's name?" Question eleven.

Sent off my manuscript pages, synopsis and an e-mail to the publisher and forgot to ask for a receipt. Don't know if he got it or not. Bonus question.

So I took the exam and I believe I passed. I'm not sure what grade I'll get. I'm sure this wasn't the final, either.

"I lift up my eyes to the hills--where does my help come from? My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of Heaven and Earth." Psalm 121:1-2

5 comments:

Unknown said...

After I read all this and my eyes cleared from the tears for you today I prayed to our Father for you. You passed my siesta friend and don't you doubt that for one moment. I prayed that tomorrow will bring less tests! I think of that song by Casting Crowns in times like these. You quoted the verse that is in that song from 'I Praise you in the Storm'. And quoting from what we experienced in Columbia:
Count it a JOY, Dear One
When life gets hard.
God is doing something HUGE!
He is also proving
That you are not a fake.
Be brave, MIGHTY WARRIOR.
Your God is with you!
When WAVES are CRASHING,
STAND to your feet.
Throw your head back
And FEEL the wind of the Spirit!
God is painting a Masterpiece
With Multi-colored trials.
Go forth and display
Divine special effects
To the GREAT GLORY OF GOD!
YOU CAN DO IT!

I love you Siesta!

Faith said...

Based on Donna Carolina Gal ... Jesus Girl, were you at the Columbia conference, too? The one in April? I was there! How cool is that?

Hugs for you, sister, after your very trying day. I love how you wrote about it though--what a way to frame it! Be blessed, dear Siesta.

And, Donna, thank you for posting those words from Beth; I needed to hear them today, too.

Jesus Girl said...

Yuppers! I was there! And, thank you, Faith, for your beautiful words. I need the hugs!

Profbaugh said...

It's so hard to be tested at every corner. Thank goodness you have Christ as your strength!

~Cheryl

Sunshine said...

Bless your heart! I will be praying. Sunshine