7/16/2007

Letting Go of Just Stuff

I covet the prayers of my bloggy friends. I am so tired. It's been a physically and emotionally draining day. Today the auctioneer and his crew came to Daddy's house. They began to "break" the house down. There was so much I had not thought of to do. I had to clean out Daddy's personal stuff, closets I had not had a chance to go through--and I thought I had been through everything. There were even pictures I had not come across until today.

I got Daddy's chair, bed, chest of drawers, hamper, lamps, etc over to my house, but realized when I got the bed in my living room, it's huge. I mean, gargantuan. I had not cleaned out enough space for everything he wanted to bring. So he's having to stay in their house one more night. Tonight when I left him, he was a little confused about where he was supposed to sleep. I told him which guest room he would be in and his favorite lamp was there, but I'll have to call later to make sure he's where he's supposed to be.

The people who are running the auction are very sympathetic. I asked the man's wife if they attended church anywhere and she told me a church here in town they visit. I asked her had she ever joined in that church's Beth Moore studies and she had so we launched on a conversation about Beth, then Jesus and what He was doing in our lives. It was awesome.

Another guy, Bruce, I've been calling him Bruce Almighty, asked me why I was taking in my Daddy. I said that I believed it was Scriptural plus I love him. He said, "I knew you had Jesus in your soul. You're just way to happy to be going through this and still smile." I thanked him and we talked about Jesus off and on all day. Then he offered to bring Daddy's furniture over to my house. He thought I looked like I could use some help.

Isn't God wonderful the way He just plants people right at your doorstep when you need them? These wonderful people have been so compassionate about our loss and when I cried they would leave the room and give me a minute or two. They have let me keep the things I wanted even though we signed a contract to sell it all.

Bruce Almighty told me about his grampa and how much my Daddy reminded him of his gramps. He kept giving me all these wise sayings his grampa imparted to him. I know his gramps had Jesus in his soul, too.

When I left tonight I wandered around Daddy's house looking at 61 years of married life all put into boxes ready to sell. It made me realize I just don't want to live like that. I don't want to accumulate so much stuff. Momma never got to enjoy most of it and Daddy's selling it. I couldn't bring it all home with me and I can only pass on so much through the years.

I know for her, part of the thrill was in the buying and the having because she was so poor when she grew up. Her dad was an alcoholic and they moved all the time leaving behind what little they could get with each move. Momma never had toys or new clothes.

I admit through the years Momma taught me to hang on to things and I find it very difficult to part with anything. Everything holds some kind of sentimental value for me, but I think through Momma's move to Heaven, once again leaving everything behind, and knowing what she had amassed--I just want no part of it.

I am throwing out tons. I've rid myself of things today I thought I could never give away. I am not going to save things anymore. I am moving ever closer to a more simple lifestyle. I want to spend my money creating memories and not storing them in closets.

There are lots of things I can do with my daughter and help others in the process to create memories for us and for them--missions trips, soup kitchens, things like that. And, one day (when God sees fit to publish my book) I'd like to be able to buy a car for somebody not expecting it who could really use it. I'd like to be able to buy a trip for a couple who could never afford a honeymoon. I'd like to be able to supply an orphange with enough food and resources to last them a year, maybe twenty.

Of course, paring down my stuff is not going to bring those things about. It has more to do with letting go of earth and reaching for Heaven. I will be blessed to bless. I will have more when I have less. Letting go of my stuff let's God take hold of it and use it.

Good night all. Grace be to you who follow hard after the One Who gives us life everlasting. Thank you, Lord, for the special people You surround us with, if only for a season. I ask Your blessings on each one that reads this post. Each one is special to me and even more special to You. I'm crazy about You!

3 comments:

Sunshine said...

Such a tough transition - I will be praying!

Faith said...

Inspiring words, Siesta!
May Jesus continue to encourage and strengthen your heart as you go through this transition.

Darla said...

Praying for you princess! I know first hand what you are going through glad that the "little one" is cooperating..Love ya