6/27/2007

Wild Rides and Cups in the Toilet

Yesterday was a bit like the "Twilight Zone." I took my Dad, with the middle stages of Alzheimer's, to see my Gramma, who is 102 1/2 and has dementia--she lives solely in the past. Whew! For my Gramma I was at times my mother, who lives in Heaven now, and a Cavenaugh, people from Maple Hill, and a strange boy, there to do her bidding.

The minute we got to the nursing home, the aide said they had to do a treatment (give Granny oxygen). Well, Granny doesn't particularly like the treatment. So as soon as the aide left, she started trying to pull the oxygen off. She wanted to spit. I had nothing for her to spit in so I gave her the trashcan. She spit a couple of times then said, "Now put some water in it." Okay, call it insanity, but I thought she meant to rinse it out.

I didn't look in the can, after all, she had just spit in it. I dumped it into the toilet. I heard something more than spit hit the water, looked and I had dumped a plastic cup into the toilet which had not been flushed since her last...um...BM.

I'm NOT reaching into a very dirty toilet to retrieve a cup without some gloves of major substance, so I went on a treasure hunt to find some gloves. Now I'm thirsty and worn out. Finally found a housekeeper that had gloves and could careless why I needed them, but I felt compelled to explain, in minute detail, exactly why I needed the gloves.

Went back to Granny's room and she hollered, "Boy, I need some water."
"Okay, Granny. Lemme clean up the trash can and get the cup." And, NNOOooooo, I wasn't planning to use that cup for her water.

I fished the cup out, cleaned the trashcan and put it back in its proper position among Granny's possessions. "Put the paper towel beside it." Now I had a paper towel in my hand that I had used to dry my clean hands after washing the glove-stuff off. I had no idea why she wanted a paper towel back there, but, you know, it's her room and her stuff. Down the paper towel went.

"I need water. Just put it in there." That was what she wanted all along. She hadn't wanted me to clean the trash can, but put her some water in it to drink. Okay, I admit at this point I was trying hard not to hurl my breakfast and dinner from the night before.

I said, "Granny, let me go get a cup." She put up some argument, but I left to embark on my second treasure hunt. Found the aide and again began to explain in detail about what had happened and why I needed a cup. I'm thinking at this point somebody's demetia has leaked out and I've inhaled it.

Got the cup, walked back to Granny's room and went to the faucet to get water. I handed her the cup, she took a sip and politely--spit it out--on the floor--of her room--which is carpeted.
"Granny!" (Okay, I'm exasperated now). "Why did you spit it out?" (Yes, I was expecting a sane answer).

"Because," she stated flatly, giving what she considers a sane answer, "I wanted you to go to the creek over yonder and get me some spring water. It's cool and fresh. It's so good."

I'm now at a loss. , but, Mighty Aide to save the day. She takes the cup and goes outside to the water fountain--of course, cool, fresh water. Takes a swig of "spring" water, looks at me, "You Cavenaugh's don't know a thing." (Now mind you, I AM not a Cavenaugh!) Glory!

Then she puts her feet down, wheels herself out to the hall without a by-your-leave-nothing. It was quite a feat, I must say, for a one and two year old woman to wheel her own chair to the hallway.

One the way home, Daddy asked me twenty times did Granny know him and did she mention Lena, my Momma. The funny thing about yesterday: Neither one of them is going to remember any of it!!!!

It's a wild adventure! A wild ride! And, totally cool with me. I'm growing and doing things I never would have even imagined, especially fishing cups out of soiled toilet water. Now there's something you can't make up!

God has bestowed upon me patience I never knew I was capable of, love that doesn't come easily for me and strength--I am chronically anemic from kidney disease! I am able through His power--folks, that's cause to celebrate, so I'll just keep chuggin' along and singin' a new song for His glory! Hallelujah! He's all that!

4 comments:

Darla said...

Jesus girl, Hey loved the things you wrote, and it wasn't all that long ago my granny was in the same way as yours...some times it was just totally whacked to me and i couldn't stand it..but not it gives me many laughs, and joy in remembering her. I will keep you in my prayers...Love the name.."Jesus Girl" My daughter is 15 and uses the same name for her email address.

Keep seeking HIS face, and HE will give you all that you need to get through each day. Amazing how HE does that, especially when you look back over the day before you sleep...and there HE is, and there HE is...haha I do love that!

Can't wait to read that book you are writing..especially if it a "wake up church" kind of book...I want one as soon as you are ready to sell them. Love you, your siesta Princess Darla

PS I haven't heard from Nicole either, and let me know if you hear, and how I can better pray for her. thanx :)

Jesus Girl said...

Hey, Siesta!!

Thanks for the support:) I covet your prayers. There is nothing of any greater value one Christian can give to another Christian.

Are you going to our Siesta Fiesta...whever that may be? I'm plan on going. I hope we hold it some place like Hawaii or the Holy Land. We need some place exotic, after all, we are princesses of the Most High, The King of Kings. We deserve the Best!

Love you, too, Siesta Princess Darla

Darla said...

Absolutely!! But I will go where ever it is...I am going to save and save..because i am going to believe and believe..that the siesta-fiesta will happen...do you think we can wear some fancy tiaras? LOL

I do love blogging and it is a blast! I will check in on ya, P2P (princess to princess)

Unknown said...

Hey Jesus Girl!
Thanks for your comment on my blog and thanks for the nice things you said about my kids. They are at a very fun stage!
This thing God is doing in the body is SO refreshing! I read through many of your blog posts and see that our hearts are beating a similar beat!
We all have stuff to deal with in our personal lives. Be it a sick parent or personal problems etc...but when we for a minute take the focus off of ourselves and put it on the world around us, we can see the pulse of God. I want to LIVE in that dimension.
My husband preached a message at church on Sunday about being a bond servant. Truly, a bond servant is MORE than just a servant. A bond servant doesn't have anything that belongs to him/her...everything, even their family, EVERYTHING is owned by the Master.
I loved this message because it is where God has brought our family. We have stuff. Of course, I am sitting here typing on a laptop computer in my air conditioned home. BUT I treasure NONE of it! It all belongs to my Master! It is LIBERATING to have stuff but not really OWN it! Takes the pressure off bigtime!
Anyway, now I am preaching, to the choir!!! Anyway, nice to meet you Siesta and I am going to put you on my blogroll...because I like your blog too!
Be blessed today in Jesus!
Teri